I was first introduced to Rocky Road by a friend when at Starbucks; it was so naughty but yet so good. Since then I have tried a number of recipes and I have found Nigella Lawson's "Rocky Road Crunch Bars" from Nigella Express to be my favourite.
The recipe makes 24 and as you can see from the picture below they are very generous portions.
Rocky Road Recipe
Cooking Time: less than 10 minutes
Preparation Time: less than 30 mins
Rocky Road Ingredients
125g/4½oz soft unsalted butter
300g/10½oz best-quality dark chocolate, broken into pieces
3 tbsp golden syrup
200g/7¼oz rich tea biscuits
100g/3½oz mini marshmallows
2 tsp icing sugar, to dust (I forewent this)
Rocky Road Method1. Heat the butter, chocolate and golden syrup in a heavy-based saucepan over a gentle heat. Remove from the heat, scoop out about 125ml/4½fl oz of the melted mixture and set aside in a bowl.
2. Place the biscuits into a plastic freezer bag and crush them with a rolling pin until some have turned to crumbs but there are still pieces of biscuit remaining.
3. Fold the biscuit pieces and crumbs into the melted chocolate mixture in the saucepan, then add the marshmallows.
4. Tip the mixture into a 24cm/9in square baking tin and smooth the top with a wet spatula.
5. Pour over the reserved 125ml/4½fl oz of the melted chocolate mixture and smooth the top with a wet spatula.
6. Refrigerate for about two hours or overnight.
To serve, cut into 24 fingers and dust with icing sugar. You will thank me.